The new BKAV Bphone has been creating a lot of buzz lately, at least in Vietnam. This is not the first Vietnamese smartphone (we’ve already had some from Mobiistar, Rovi and VNPT) but consumers are expecting a lot from this phone because none of previous products are successful in the market.
Unlike other manufacturers that are targeting the low or mid-range market, Bphone was claimed to be a high-end smartphone. Nguyen Tu Quang, BKAV’s CEO, even said the phone has a better design than iPhone 6 and delivers better sound quality than the Sony Xperia Z3. Many people have been doubtful because Quang was well-known for expressing excessive confidence about BKAV’s products.
The BKAV Bphone has just been officially introduced on May 26, 2015 at National Convention Center in Hanoi, Vietnam. Let’s see if it can compete in the high-end market that is dominated by iPhones. Can this be a historic milestone for the electronics industry in Vietnam?
The Bphone is said to be the first smartphone in the world featuring flat design. I’m quite impressed with the sleek design. It has a 5-inch display only, so you can see it is smaller than recent flagships like iPhone 6 Plus or Samsung Galaxy S6.
You might find it familiar because it looks like a hybrid of iPhone and Sony Xperia in my opinion. It also reminds me of some Oppo products.
Features and Tech Specs
- OS: BOS (forked Android 5.0 Lollipop)
- Network: HSDPA 21.6 Mbps
- Display: 5-inch Sharp LCD TFT, full-HD resolution (1920 x 1080 pixels), 441 ppi
- Gorilla Glass 3 on front and back
- Rear camera: 13MP OmniVision sensor, Ubi Focus, Sapphire lens cover, supports recording 4K, [email protected]/30fps, [email protected] videos
- Front Camera: 5MP, wide 88-degree angle
- Processor: Qualcomm Snapdragon 801 Quad Core 2.5GHz
- RAM: 3GB
- Internal Memory: 16GB / 64GB / 128GB
- External memory card: not supported
- Connectivity: Wi-Fi a/b/g/n/ac, 2 bands, Wi-Fi Direct, GPS, Glonass, TransferJet (500 times faster than NFC), microUSB
- Audio: Supports hi-res FLAC, ALAC, 24-bit/192kHz
- Microphone:noise-canceling FluenceHD
- Battery: Li-Po 3.000 mAh supporting Quick Charge 2.0 Plus
- 5GB of storage on Bdrive
- Secured with built-in Firewall and BKAV Security
- Size: 14,1 x 6,9 x 7.5 mm
- Colors: black, white, champagne gold, 24K gold
- Price: 9,990,000 VND (460 USD) for Black – 16GB edition, 12,960,000 VND (593 USD) for Black, White, Champagne Gold – 64GB edition, and 20,200,000 VND (925 USD) for 24K Gold – 128GB edition
I will post a review as soon as I have a chance to test the Bphone. What do you think about the made-in-Vietnam smartphone, does it have any chance to compete with Apple or Samsung?
Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. The commission help keep the rest of my content free, so thank you!