After a long time anticipating, Google Plus is finally open for business as it allows creating Google Plus Page. The new feature is very similar to Facebook Fan Page and someone even called it the Google’s version of Facebook Page. This is an important move of Google Plus as the social network was open for individuals only and said no to anonymity and brands. Now all companies, celebrities or sport teams can create their own Google+ Pages at http://plus.google.com/pages/create.
The change absolutely can bring more new users and increase the number of Google Plus Profiles to more than the current number of 40 millions. Google+ has some advantages over Facebook, for example, the comprehensive collection of free services like Search, Gmail, Documents, etc, could help them easily promote and tie the network to those services. However, there is an important feature that is not available widely on Google Plus yet, that is the option to change Google Plus Page name. It is really not comfortable to promote your Google+ Page with a difficult-to-remember long numerical string. Here is the URL to TechWalls’ Page:
This guide will show you two ways to claim a vanity URL for your Google Plus Page.
1. Custom URL from Google+ Direct Connect
Update: Google is launching Google+ Direct Connect that users can use the “+” symbol before a brand name to go directly to a Google+ page in search. Custom URLs are still under development and Google says that they probably will charge monthly fee for the URLs. Here is how you can get the custom URLs for your Google Plus page:
1. Go to your Google Plus Page -> Dashboard
2. You will see some tabs on the top, go to For Your Site and install a badge on your website. Just by adding the snippet of code to your site, you will help understand your page’s popularity and relevancy.
3. Come back to your Dashboard, choose Edit Page under Overview tab. Add link to your website on Google Plus page.
4. Wait for Google to approve and roll out custom URLs for your website.
5. You will receive an email or notification when you sign in to Google Plus account. I received an email like this:
Get a custom URL for your Google Plus Page
You’re now eligible for a unique Google+ custom URL that lets you easily point folks to your page (no more long URLs!). Here’s what we’ve reserved for you: google.com/+TechWalls
You will also see the notification in your account:
6. You will now just click on the link or the Get URL button to confirm you want to change the address.
7. Now you can access our Google Plus Page through the following links: google.com/+techwalls or plus.google.com/+techwalls
2. Shorten Google+ URL
In case your page hasn’t been approved for a vanity URL as Google Plus hasn’t made it widely available yet (it is even not available for Google+ individual accounts), you need to use some alternative ways to shorten the URL like we set custom URL for Google+ Individual Profiles.
Gplus is an URL shortening service but it is not an official tool from Google, so you use it at your own risk.
Here are the steps:
1. Create your Google Plus Page
2. Go to your Page and get the Page ID on the address bar. For example, my page’s ID is 100456744122229823295.
3. Go to Gplus.to.
4. Fill in your desired Page name and the ID below, then click on the button Add.
5. Your Page URL is generated now and you will get one like this:
Let us know if you have successfully claimed the vanity URL for your Google Plus page and how you did it.