In today’s world, it’s important to have backup power when conventional sources aren’t available. That’s where a power station comes in. As more and more people continue to embrace portable power stations as a reliable source of backup power, the market has become flooded with different brands and models of varying capacities and features. In this article, we’re going to discuss factors to consider when buying an emergency power station and the top 4 products on the market.
How to Choose a Power Station
Choosing the right power station depends on several factors
- Maximum power output: This is the maximum amount of watts the power station can deliver at a constant rate, and it determines what it can power. Make sure to check the maximum power output of the power station you’re interested in, and ensure that it can power the devices you need it to.
- Power capacity: This is how much electricity the power station’s batteries can hold when fully charged, and it’s measured in watt hours. Divide the power station’s capacity by the devices you plan to use with it to determine how much power you can get out of it. For example, a smartphone uses about 5.5 watts to fully recharge from 0 to 100%. That means a charging station with 200Wh of capacity can charge that phone about 36 times (200/5.5) before it runs out of power.
- Output ports: To be useful, a portable charging station must have the outputs to connect with the devices you need to charge or power. Make sure to check what outlets the charger supports before making a purchase, as not all power stations support all connections.
- Size and weight: For a power station to be portable, it needs to be small enough to transport in and out of storage or take it on the road. Size and weight range significantly depending on the output of the power station. Consider how you plan to store and transport the power station when perusing different models.
- Warranty: This is another important factor as battery failure happens all the time. Apart from choosing a product from a well-established brand, make sure to take a look into their customer service and warranty policies.
Top 4 Portable Power Stations
1. Jackery Explorer 1000
- Dimensions (LxWxD): 13.1 x 11.1 x 9.2 inches
- Weight: 22.04 lbs
- Capacity: 1,002Wh (21.6V, 46.4Ah)
- Rated output: 1,000W (2,000W Surge)
The Jackery Explorer 1000 is one of the most popular portable power stations available in the market today, thanks to its impressive power output and compact design. With a capacity of 1,002 watt-hours and a max output of 1,000 watts, this power station is capable of powering a wide range of appliances and devices, including laptops, smartphones, TVs, mini-fridges, and even power tools.
The Jackery Explorer 1000 can charge multiple devices simultaneously. It has a total of four USB ports, two AC outlets, and a 12V carport, making it ideal for use during camping trips, outdoor events, and emergencies. The power station can be charged via solar panels, a wall socket, or a carport, making it versatile and easy to use.
The Jackery Explorer 1000 is also relatively lightweight, weighing in at just 22 pounds, which makes it easy to carry around. Its compact design also means that it takes up very little space, making it ideal for use in small apartments, RVs, or boats.
2. BLUETTI AC200Max
- Dimensions (LxWxD): 16.5 x 15.2 x 11 inches
- Weight: 61.9 lbs
- Capacity: 2,048Wh (51.2V, 40Ah)
- Rated output: 2,200W (4,800W Surge)
The BLUETTI AC200Max is a high-capacity portable power station that is designed for use in a wide range of applications. It has a capacity of 2,048Wh and can deliver up to 2,200W of power, making it suitable for powering large appliances and devices. It can be charged in as little as 2~2.5 hours using 1,400W solar panels and a standard AC outlet. It also has a variety of outputs, including AC, USB-C, USB-A, and 12V car socket, making it compatible with a wide range of devices.
The best feature of the AC200Max is that it can be connected to up to two BLUETTI B230 (2,048Wh each) or B300 (3,072Wh each) battery modules to increase the total capacity to 8,192Wh. Therefore, it is great as a portable power station for your weekend getaway and when you need more substantial power for multi-day outage, it is totally capable.
3. Anker PowerHouse 767
- Dimensions: 20.7 x 15.5 x 9.8 inches
- Weight: 67.2 lbs
- Capacity: 2,048 Wh
- Rated output: 2,400W (3,600W Surge)
The Anker PowerHouse 767 is another modular portable power station that offers impressive power output and versatility. It has a capacity of 2,048 Wh and a max output of 2,400W, this power station can power a wide range of devices, including smartphones, laptops, mini-fridges, and even power tools. The size and specs are quite similar to the BLUETTI AC200Max and you can double the capacity to 4,096Wh with an expansion battery.
The PowerHouse 767 is quite heavy but it has a portable suitcase design with durable wheels and an EasyTow retractable handle. This design allows us to move the power station easily, making it ideal for use in small apartments, RVs, or boats.
4. EcoFlow River 2 Pro
- Dimensions: 10.6 x 10.2 x 8.9 inches
- Weight: 17.2 lbs
- Capacity: 768Wh
- Rated output: 800W (1,600W Surge)
The EcoFlow River 2 Pro is the most affordable power station in this list and it is a versatile portable power station with all the basic needs and reliable construction. It offers a capacity of 768Wh and a max output of 800W. This small power station is ideal for use during camping trips, outdoor events, and emergencies, as it can power a wide range of devices. The EcoFlow River 2 Pro is also relatively lightweight, which makes it easy to carry around.
Ultimately, the right portable power station will depend on your specific needs and budget. All of these are excellent options that offer a combination of high capacity, fast charging, and multiple outputs, so you can’t go wrong with any of them.
Disclosure: We might earn commission from qualifying purchases. The commission help keep the rest of my content free, so thank you!
Leave a Reply